RI Department of Education – CLASS Observer Training
The Rhode Island Department of Education seeks applications from individuals interested in becoming part of RI’s pool of CLASS reliable assessors. Up to 14 individuals will be selected to attend CLASS Observer Certification training and will be trained to use the CLASS tool to observe and code teacher-child interactions in early childhood classrooms across multiple settings. This two-day training, held July 9 - 10 at the Center for Early Learning Professionals in Warwick, will prepare individuals for online reliability testing. Those who pass the CLASS reliability test will receive a Teachstone Certified CLASS Observer Certificate that is valid for one year.
This training is sponsored by the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE). It is the Department’s intent to increase the number of Certified CLASS observers available to the state’s QRIS and to RIDE’s Comprehensive Early Childhood Education program approval process. CLASS data may be used for program evaluation and as a basis for professional development planning.
There is no fee to participate in this training, which will be provided by a Certified CLASS Trainer. Individuals will not be compensated for attending training. However, once certified, individuals may apply to perform CLASS observations for BrightStars or RIDE on a fee-for-service basis.
A CLASS observation includes an onsite classroom observation and a detailed written report. Reports must be submitted within 72 hours of the observation and consultants must be available for follow-up consultation if necessary. The current consultant fee for a CLASS observation conducted for BrightStars or RIDE is $400, with no compensation for travel.
Training participants agree to:
- Attend both days of the two-day training
- Be present and actively participate for all eight hours of training each day
- Independently prepare for and take the online reliability test before August 15, 2014
- If necessary, take the test up to two more times before September 4, 2014
- Forward RIDE a copy of their Teachstone CLASS Observer Certificate
- Be available to perform a minimum of 3 CLASS observations per month on a fee-for-service basis
- Participate in any ongoing activities designed to maintain assessor reliability
- Acknowledge that CLASS Observers must recertify annually to maintain certification status
- Acknowledge that selection for participation in the training and CLASS Certification does not imply a guarantee of work from RIDE or BrightStars
In addition, individuals that earn a CLASS Observer Certificate as part of this no-fee opportunity agree to obtain permission from RIDE prior to performing CLASS observations on behalf of any other entity for one year after initial certification.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field
- Significant work experience in an early childhood setting
- Classroom observation experience
- Professional, organized, excellent writing skills
Interested candidates meeting all the above requirements may send a resume and a statement explaining their interest to Carla.Swanson@ride.ri.gov by June 20, 2014. Individuals selected will be notified by June 30, 2014.